PRIMEVAL MEMORY (PRASPOMIN, 2020)
Forest becomes darker deeper inside. Beings are carrying out secret rituals there. Remember. It was in the primeval forest.
LIGHT INSIDE THE TREES (SVETLOBA V DREVESIH, 2019)
As a student of forestry engineering I encountered microscopic images of wood anatomy and made a series of films based on those images. The line between concrete and abstract disappears and opens the space for imagination. Beauty and secret of nature are basis for my authentic visual research. Sounds are often made with materials found in the forest. (Uroš Marolt)
1. Wood (Les) 2015, 4 min. Trees are falling and rising.
2. Origin of a human being (Izvor človeka) 2016, 3 min. Colours of an unknown forest.
3. Prints (Odtisi) 2016, 2 min. Winter forest. ‘’All the prints are saved in the snow before it even falls.’’
4. Tree sap (Drevesni sok) 2016, 14 min. Abstract roaming of saps inside the trees from winter to late autumn. Music is determined with the structure of annual rings as the round section of a tree trunk would be rolling on the gramophone.
5. Fibre (Vlakno) 2017, 5 min. Four elements (air, water, soil, fire) in the relation to wood.
6. Metamorphosis, 2017, 5 min. In the antique myth Daphne is running away from Apollo who is in love with her. She can only escape turning into the tree. We follow metamorphosis of microscopic images of human blood cells into cells of the tree.
7. 36,6 °C, 2017, 2 min. Wood is burning with the temperature of a human body.
8. Embodying (Utelešanje), 2018, 5 min. Trees are touching each other with roots passionately as bodies of lovers.
9. Spirits (Duhovi), 2019, 22 min. Our ancestors believed in spirits. Detailed observations of nature phenomenon reveal they still exist.
Origin of a Human Being, 2016
36,6 °C, 2017
Listen to the podcast (2019) about Uroš Marolt’s filmmaking. Language: Slovenian.
Past film projections:
Slovenska Kinoteka/Slovenian Cinemateque
Kino Otok/Cinema Isola Festival
GT22, Ekstremno slovensko/Extremely Slovenian
Festival neodvisnega filma/Festival Of Independent Film, Slovenia
Slovenian Cinemateque, 2018 (photo: Gaja N. Rojec)