OUTDOOR VIDEO GALLERY / VIDEO GALERIJA NA PROSTEM (2021)
What shines from the trees in the dark. What water brings.
Outdoor video gallery is an event, installed in the nature place with trees. The tree trunks and driftwood turn into a platform for experimental films based on microscopic images of wood, bluring the distinction between the concrete and the abstract. Playing on the central screen, made of plastic debris, is the film Spirits, a meditative tribute to nature. The project has been developed by Uroš Marolt in years of creative exploration of unusual shapes in nature and often creating sounds using materials found in a forest. The combined running time of the line-up of 9 films is 70 minutes and enables meeting and hanging out in the hypnotical environment.
ABOUT FILMS / O FILMIH
LIGHT INSIDE THE TREES // SVETLOBA V DREVESIH (2015-2020)
”As a student of forestry engineering I encountered microscopic images of wood anatomy and made a series of films based on those images. The line between concrete and abstract disappears and opens the space for imagination. Beauty and secret of nature are basis for my authentic visual research. Sounds are often made with materials found in the forest.” Uroš Marolt
1. Wood (Les). 2015, Slovenia, SD images & miniDV, 4:3, colour, 4′. // Trees are falling and rising.
2. Origin of a human (Izvor človeka). 2016, Slovenia, SD images & miniDV, 4:3, colour, 3′. // Mystical journey into the forest of unknown colours towards our origin.
3. Prints (Odtisi). 2016, Slovenia, miniDV, 4:3, colour, 3′. // Winter forest. All the prints are saved in the snow before it even falls.
4. Tree Sap (Drevesni sok). 2016, Slovenia, SD images & miniDV, 4:3, colour, 14′. // Saps inside the trees are abstractly roaming from the winter to the late autumn. Music is determined with the structure of annual rings as the round section of a tree trunk would be rolling on the gramophone.
5. Fibre (Vlakno). 2017, Slovenia, SD images & miniDV, 4:3, colour, 5′. // Four elements air, water, soil and fire in the relation to wood.
6. Metamorphosis. 2017, Slovenia, SD images & miniDV, 4:3, colour, 5′. // In the antique myth Daphne is running away from Apollo who is in love with her. She can only escape turning into a tree. Film follows microscopic metamorphosis of human blood cells into cells of the tree.
7. 36,6 °C. 2017, Slovenia, SD images & miniDV, 4:3, colour, 2′. // Wood is burning with the temperature of a human body.
8. Embodying (Utelešanje). 2018, Slovenia, HD, miniDV & archive footage, 4:3, colour, 5′. // Trees are touching each other with roots passionately as bodies of lovers.
9. Spirits (Duhovi). 2019, Slovenia, HD, 16:9, colour, 22′. // Our ancestors believed in spirits. Detailed observations of nature phenomenon reveal they still exist.
10. Primeval Memory (Praspomin). 2020, Slovenia, HD, 16:9, colour, 15′. Uroš Marolt & Gaja N. Rojec. // Forest becomes darker deeper inside. Mysterious beings are carrying out secret rituals there. Remember. It was in the primeval forest.
Listen to the podcast (2019) about Uroš Marolt’s filmmaking. Language: Slovenian.
Past film projections:
Slovenska Kinoteka/Slovenian Cinematheque
Kino Otok/Cinema Isola Festival
Intimni Kino GT22, Ekstremno slovensko/Intimate Cinema GT22, Extremely Slovenian
FeKK – Festival kratkega filma Ljubljana/Ljubljana short film festival
Festival neodvisnega filma/Festival Of Independent Film, Slovenia